Async Everywhere - Why are controllers all done in this style

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:23 PM
Relatively new to MVC, but been working with basic controllers and web api controllers for over a year. Began using the new Identity system, 1.0 version, in a project a few weeks ago. Now working on customizing use of the 1.0 version and at same time keeping informed of version 2.0

What I don't get is the need for Async. For my simple needs, it obscures the straightforward use of model binding, a big strength of MVC architecture.

Can the team please explain to me which of the two requirements usually stated for Async are they trying to achieve. If it's all for the 1st purpose of performance during high concurrency load situations, I don't follow. I mean how many sites are brought to their knees by slow registration systems.

If it is because they are laying a foundation for a very complex application, RIA, with many competing calls to threads, then that is another story. Still, I can see Async as optional, not as the default for so many controller operations.

I'm just curious. Someone educate me, please.
Mar 17, 2014 at 9:33 PM
How does the use of Async hinder MVC's model binding? I don't understand. Also the Identity system is not only used for registrations but for authentication as well. Async is particularly useful in Web API's where you need to authenticate each incoming request for instance every time (whether it be via Bearer token, basic auth, etc).